An exploration of advanced directing for the theatre. The class is centered on student directed short productions, which are publicly presented at the end of term. Emphasis is placed on strong dramaturgical readings, imagination, collaboration, and creativity. The DRM402H1 Directors Showcase in Fall 2023 will be a series of student-directed 20-minute scenes/short plays.
2023 Application dates
March10, 2023: declare your intention to apply by selecting DRM402H here
April 10, 2023: Upload your DRM402H Proposal Submission (2-3 pages)
April 10, 2023: send Colleen Osborn a copy of the proposal and a copy of the text/script (pdf or link if the text is available online)
April 16, 2023: follow-up interview to discuss your proposal
- Specialist or Major in Drama with a minimum of 70% in the following: DRM220Y1, DRM331H1 and DRM302H1; a written proposal and an interview in April.
You can propose one of the following:
a. A complete short play (20 minutes or under)
b. An except (20 minutes or under) of a longer play
c. An adaptation (20 minutes or under) of a longer play
Your proposal should contain:
- Your proposal should contain:
• your name, student number, e-mail, and phone number
• confirmation that you have completed the following prerequisite courses by the portfoilio deadline: DRM220Y1, DRM302H1 and DRM331H1
• a statement addressing the reasons you are drawn to this particular project: why this play—here, now?
• a brief outline of your proposed production: what will it look and sound like? Please reference the specific scenes and page numbers.
How to submit your proposal
- Upload Word or PDF attachment of your proposal saved as yourname_402submission to your DRM402H application.
- *Email a copy of your online submission and a copy of the play/link to the play to the Undergraduate Coordinator by 11:59pm on May 10, 2023
- Interviews will be held in April over Zoom on May 16 between 12pm -3pm
- Exact interview times will be emailed to applicants after the proposal deadline.
- Please be prepared to discuss the specific project that you have proposed in an interview.
- Students will be notified of their acceptance by email in late-May once all grades are entered.
- If you are submitting the play taken from the library, it is your responsibility to retrive it at the interview to return to the library.