Financial Services

Your main point of contact is our Department Manager

Expense Reimbursement Claims

A claim should be for either a single trip, or non-travel expenses. They should not be mixed. For example, your Research Support Fund and Conference Grant would be paid through reimbursements.

 Original receipts are required to support all claims except for kilometerage and per diem. Photocopies and facsimile receipts are not acceptable. Other original receipts may include ticket stubs (travel), statements of guest charges for accommodations, car rental agreement. Where the receipt does not clearly identify the item(s) or services(s) purchased, the claimant should do so. For more information, refer to the Guide to Financial Management - Travel and Other Reimbursable Expenses.

Please refer to the Expense Reimbursement Checklist (Template) on this website.

  1. Use the most recent Expense Report form with the E series tax codes available on this website. Also refer the Reimbursement Instructions for details about filling out your form.
  2. Complete the form. Please print legibly.
    1. Please note the funding source (fund name/number) which should be used to pay the reimbursement and note the information on the form.
    2. Your personnel number is on your pay stub.
    3. Print your full address including postal code. If we are unable to use direct deposit, a cheque will be mailed to this address.
    4. If the reimbursement is for travel, print the period of travel, the place of visit and the purpose of visit in the "Location and Description field". If not, print the date of the transaction.
    5. If the reimbursement is for a meal, please list all attendees.
    6. In the "Date prepared" field, fill in the date when you submitted the form and receipts to us.
    7. Sign the form and print your name.
  3. If you are missing a receipt(s), complete the Missing Receipt Form on this website.
  4. Submit your form and all receipts to
  1. We use ERDD: direct deposit to your bank account whenever possible. It is the fastest method, with the deposit going to the last bank account you provided for payroll. If you do not want to use direct deposit, or if your bank account information has changed, please inform
  2. If you submit your form with all necessary receipts and signatures, you can expect to be reimbursed within a week of its approval. 

If you have a foreign currency receipt that was paid by a Canadian credit card (converted to CAD), please provide a photocopy of your credit card statement to give us the credit card’s conversion rate. You can black out the non-pertinent items. If you do not submit a copy of your credit card statement, we will use U of T’s conversion rates based on the date of transaction. Do not convert currencies on your own – they will be disregarded.

If you have questions that are not covered here, please ask