From responsive sculptures to atmosphere-creating machines; from sensorial machines to affective autonomous robots, Chaosmosis mAchInes is an eclectic series of installations and performances reflecting on today's complex symbiotic relations between humans, machines and the environment.
This will be the first encounter between Montreal-based Topological Media Lab (Concordia University) and the Toronto-based Digital Dramaturgy Labsquared (U of T) to co-present current process-based and experimental works. Both labs have a history of notorious playfulness, conceptual abysmal depth, human-machine interplays, Art & Science speculations, collaborative messes, and a knack for A/I as in Artistic Intelligence.
Visit our Facebook event page.
Register through Evenbrite.
Time and venue
7pm-9.30pm, Installations-performances-critiques, Helen-Gardiner-Phelan Theatre, 2nd floor
9.30pm-11pm, Reception and cash bar, Front and Long Room, Ground floor
Supported by: Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies (U of T) Computational Arts Program (York U.), Cognitive Science Program (U of T), Knowledge Media Design Institute (U of T), Institute for the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology (IHPST), Fonds de Recherche du Québec - Société et culture (FRQSC), The Centre for Comparative Literature (U of T), Cinema Studies (U of T)
Many thanks to Nina Czegledy (Laser series, Leonardo network) for initiating the collaboration.
A collaboration between
Laser events, Leonardo networks – Science Artist, Nina Czegledy
ArtsSci Salon – Artistic Director, Roberta Buiani
Digital Dramaturgy Labsquared – Creative Research Director, Antje Budde
Topological Media Lab – Artistic-Research Co-directors: Michael Montanaro | David Morris | Navid Navab
Works exhibited/curated by the Topological Media Lab:
- tangibleFlux φ plenumorphic ∴ chaosmosis, Microcosm no.1 and 2 [Navid Navab]
- SPIEL [Peter van Haaften + Michael Montanaro, performed by Nein Tzu Weng]
- On Air [Michael Montanaro + Peter van Haaften]
- The Sound That Severs Now from Now [Garnet Willis]
- Cloud Chamber | Caustic Scenography, Responsive Cloud Formation [Nima Navab]
- Liquid Light [Nima Navab]
- Robots: Machine Menagerie [Joseph Thibodeau]
- Phaze [Evan Montpellier + Nina Bouchard]
- Until I am Found [ Chloë Cheuk ]
- Cucolarus [ Breanna Shanahan]
Digital Dramaturgy Labsquared
Btw Lf & Dth – interFACING disappearance
- Having fun with the infinite joy of learning, making, critical enquiry and wonder
- Presenting cutting-edge, creative, digital technology performances
- Engage multi-disciplinary arts & science communities
- Create a well-informed, creative, multi-perspective dialogue on technology, artistic intelligence, creativity, skills and performance by inviting critical respondents, providing crucial thoughts on each presented work
- Building networks and community between the humanities/arts, sciences, applied sciences and innovative entrepreneurship